1711 Whitesmile is the seventeenth volume of the Baccano! light novel series and the final installment of the 1700s arcs.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Whitesmile begins with the descendant of Jean-Pierre Accardo visiting a maritime museum on the American East coast as part of his research on the Advena Avis and the immortals. He is then directed to the museum's archives where he is shown the logbooks of some of the passengers on the ship.
The bulk of the novel takes place in House Dormentaire-controlled Lotto Valentino circa 1711. It explores the anteceding ramifications of Dormentaire occupation that lead up to the alchemists' acquisition of the Advena Avis, the explosive incidents that catalyze the alchemists' dangerous flight from the city, and their initial escapade aboard the vessel upon which they will eventaully summon a demon.
Chapters[edit | edit source]
- Confessions of a Smile Junkie
- 2002: At a Cafeteria in an FBI facility
- 2002: Sylvie's Reminiscences
- Prologue: Fragments of Laughter from a Dream
- Chapter One: The Sudden Laughter of Those in Power
- Interlude: Excerpt from the Reports of Victor Talbot
- Chapter Two: The Chortling Chatter of the Visitors
- Interlude: Excerpt from the Reports of Victor Talbot (Part 2)
- Chapter Three: The Smiles of Those in Love
- Interlude: Excerpt from the Reports of Victor Talbot (Part 3)
- Finale: Don't Laugh
- Epilogue: Let's Laugh
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The title of the volume is a reference to the band Whitesnake.